Monday, November 29, 2010

Mirror Lake in the Wintertime.

This picture doesn't do it justice. 
This picture doesn't tell enough.
Of the memories I've shared here.
Of the reminiscing. 
Tough, bitter mornings
 Of the windy, lonely cold. 
Of the flesh and of the beating. 
All these stories aren't told.
It doesn't tell of fires that rage within the water.
It doesn't show how winter's icy breath 
made cold air  hotter. 
The way your cheek felt warmer, somehow ,
 thawed out in this place. 
The way I pressed against your jacket. 
 The way I pressed into your face.
To delight in arms that held me. 
As a girl denying who
I truly was in  Lake's Reflection.
Without solace.
without you.
And I have seen this mirror's secrets. 
I have run along the lines
of the patterned, worn out pavement
Aged as it's 
transcended time.
Held up to the rattled freshmen
who, drunken with their youth
and free with new derision. 
Jumped together.
Inside you. 
And I have watched you,
Mirror Lake. 
Remain so glittered in my path
that I've often sworn I heard
inside your water
Mem'ried laugh.
And as I sit among the benches, 
among your silent water's chill, 
and I bend to see if I can 
see the moments on the hill
that I have spent as an old child. 
 and with whom I've shared my heart. 
A girl who felt the time go by. 
And somehow found her art...
I looked upon my left side. 
And I glanced upon my right. 
And in my sweet depravity, 
in the winter, 
on this night. 
I relived all the places 
and the love that I had lived. 
On this campus. 
In these winters. 
By the lake I sat within. 
And I bled for those who loved me. 
And I bled for what I lost. 
And I sought some sort of solace 
in the gravity of cost. 
But the irony of Mirrors
Is that when you shatter glass..
You leave behind the flecks of 
all the pictures of the past. 
So many will run through you. 
and they will then leave and live. 
But you'll remain a frozen part 
of heart that we did give. 
As children of the tainted world. 
We'll all return to say.
We walk such different paths now. 
Still bleeding
scarlet and grey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment